We have bought a DIY kitchen from the hardware store Masters. They seem to be quite good quality, with soft close hinges, and decent strength to the drawers and cupboards. The only downside, is that the cupboards are standard sizes, which dont quite fit into our kitchen space. So a couple of walls need to be moved. Luckily Janine's brother Micky is a builder, so we borrowed him for a day!
While we were there, Micky suggested moving the window up 200 mm as it was too low relative to the new benchtop that would be below it. Easy to do when you know what you're doing!
While Micky was here, we also jacked up the rear of the house as it had dropped by about 80 mm into the car port underneath. The whole rear corner is supported by one bolt. The counter levered floor beams run between two posts rather than on top of them, and are supported in place by a bolt that goes through the two posts and the beam.
We've had the benchtops measured up, so we'll wait until they're in before finishing off the doors and drawers. Then its just the splashbacks and one room's finished. Finally.
Another random sunrise shot from our loungeroom
We've had the benchtops put in, and they're ok, but theres issues. And the company involved seems to have little interest in resolving them. I'll wait and see what happens, and then write something up. In the meantime here's a few photos
Well, we eventually got the bechtop people to send a manager out to have a look at the wonky benches. Two of the benches dipped together along their join and it was quite noticable. it was caused because of the way they'd laid the underlying substrate.
After 30 minutes of him telling me how bad my kitchen was, that it was my fault, and that he couldn't be held responsible for installing something substandard because I'd asked them to do it, he finally agreed to change them. It's finally been done, and it is a bit better, but they essentially just replicated the earlier mistakes.
So if you are in Melbourne, whatever you do, never use Unitedstone, as their customer service is appalling.
Anyway, onwards, and I have made a start on the splashbacks.
I've also boxed in above the cupboards to hide all the mess
Finally finished off the tiling, and a bit of painting, so nearly done. We had to redo the grouting as the colour was wrong. According to Jano.
A bit of skirting to go and that'll be that!